Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Grocery Shopping with Kids

Collecting bananas!


Do you bring your kids grocery shopping? Do you enjoy it or avoid it all costs? Grocery shopping with three little kids is not easy or very enjoyable... some times. If I go at the wrong time of day with hungry kids that need to pee it's going to be a disaster. 

When we moved to UAE last year I started going grocery shopping without the whole family (well Ben would tag along), but after a while it felt kind of lonely and I felt like the kids were missing out on some big learning experiences by staying home. Plus, grocery shopping is fun! I have so many great memories grocery shopping with my Mom when I was a kid. 

So here is a quick and simple guide to how we do grocery shopping with two toddlers and a baby!

1. While I'm making my list I cut out a few images from old store fliers and make a small list for the kids with about 5 to 7 items. To help build reading skills I also write the name of the item. Most of the time I only make one list because I want to foster a cooperative learning experience. Even though some times this means they fight over who gets which item off the list I have seen a really nice transition from fighting to cooperatively working to get an item, such as the bananas in the photo above.
This one is not very pretty but you get the idea





2. We go when the store is empty and everyone is in good spirits. For us, that means 8 a.m.

3. When we get to the store we go over the list together. We practice reading the words and the number of each item, such as the 7 milks we needed last week!
Abe's cart filled with milk - someone is seeking maximum effort!

4. I guide them if needed but since they know the store and routine pretty well by now they know where to look for everything. 

5. We unload at the checkout and have a snack after our hard work!

By giving them this type of work outside the home I hope Abe and Mimi are building a healthy connection to food and gaining an understanding into what it takes to put food in our bellies even if we are not growing it ourselves. And of course, it builds autonomy by giving them responsibility and making them feel valued by participating in important work for the family.

I hope we've inspired you to take your kids grocery shopping and please share your experiences with us on Facebook!



No comments:

Post a Comment