Sunday, February 7, 2016

What We Did This Week (1/31 - 2/6)

Some highlights from the past week!


The sandpit is still a big attraction these days

I really need to get better at taking photos of what we are doing and what is on the shelves. We started our homeschool co-op and it has been going great. The kids are really enjoying the extra company and it's been nice having another mom around during school time. I'll have my details on our progress in the coming weeks.

Wash basin set up
So last week, I set up a wash basin for Mimi in the kitchen. It's plastic and more "Montessori-inspired" than authentic, but I'm really impressed with how excited Mimi has been to wash her hands by herself. I'm still guiding her with the actual hand washing part though because she just likes pouring the water and does so about ten times a day.
Dumping dirty water in the bucket



Emptying the bucket in the shower




A few other things we did this week:




Spooning Rice


Spooning rice was a disaster to say the least. I don't think we will be revisiting that one for a few weeks.




Abe using the pink tower in his own way
 One thing I love about the Montessori method is following the child. It leaves room for so much creativity on the child's part and the guide's (teacher). I introduced the Pink Tower and Abe loved it of course! He wasn't interested in making a tower but loved arranging the cubes as shown above.

Pouring water
Pouring water is still a big attraction. I leave this tray on the kitchen shelf and whenever they want to pour I give them a small amount of water in the pitcher.
The Creator
This week we started learning the names of Allah. This week's name was, Al Khaliq (The Creator). I just talk to the kids about God's (Allah) many names and introduced this name. I printed out this paper and we all worked together to draw things that God has made. Whatever they said they were drawing, I would say, for example, "Yes, Allah made the circles." We hung it up on the fridge where we can keep practicing this name all week.

Stay tuned for next week's post on Kindness Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment